The panj (Kundalini Yoga Portland's board of directors) is in need of a treasurer. Being on the panj is a great way to get to know others in the community! When you serve in this capacity you are never alone - this is the Aquarian Age! - Siri Singh will train the next treasurer (see his note at the end of this post).
Nominations for treasurer are now being accepted. Please read the position description below & feel free to nominate yourself or someone else. Send any nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 12.
Panj Treasurer Position Description
- Integrity. This money belongs to the community and is entrusted to the treasurer to keep track of it.
- Accurate accounting and organizational skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Can you balance a complex checkbook and do your own taxes?
- Passion for the Kundalini Yoga community & the teachings of Yogi Bhajan.
- Manage/monitor the community's money. This money comes from member's dues, workshop income, donations, EFT, Paypal accounts and is kept in a checking account. The checking and paypal accounts are owned by Kundalini Yoga Portland. As Treasurer you can open/close accounts and write checks as needed. These transactions are recorded in a ledger.
- Write checks as needed.
- Make regular deposits of check and cash in the bank account. Transfer monies from Paypal account into bank account.
- Prepare and file State and Federal taxes.
- File annual 501C3 status forms.
- File other forms with the State and Feds as needed
- Attend monthly Panj meetings. Present list of current members, current bank balance. Discuss financial situation, projected income and expenses, etc. Participate in the growth and management of Kundalini Yoga Portland.
- 1-2 hours per week to keep organized. Go on-line and check account balances, transfer monies from paypal to the bank account. Communicate with members via phone and email.
- 2 trips to the bank per month to deposit cash and checks.
- Tax prep will take a several hours once a year.
- 2 hours per month for Panj meetings
A note from Siri:
Being the Treasurer for the last two years has been a demanding, yet rewarding position for me. It has been a honor to serve the Community and help it grow. At this time I feel my enthusiasm waining and it is time for me to step aside and make space for a new Treasurer. I plan on continuing to manage and teach at Awakenings, so the new Treasurer will not be responsible for this. I will be available to train the new Treasurer for as long as needed... review the books and accounts, help with taxes next year, etc.